Veterans Services

Veterans Home Page
Vernon County Veterans Service Commission
Veterans Resources
Vernon County Services
Wisconsin State Veterans Benefits
Federal Benefits for Veterans
Women Veterans
Wisconsin Southwest Region CVSO
Vernon County Home

Wisconsin State Veterans Benefits

The only programs now administered by the WDVA are the Aid to Needy Veterans Programs.  The remaining programs benefiting Veterans are administered by the UW System, WI Tech College System, the Dept. of Revenue, the Dept. of Transportation, and the Dept. of Natural Resources. The benefits are as follows:

The Veterans Education (VetEd) grant program provides a reimbursement grant based on a credit-bank system that is based on length of active duty military service to eligible veterans who have not yet been awarded a bachelor’s degree for the reimbursement of tuition and fees following successful course completion at an eligible UW, technical college, or approved private institution of higher learning.

Disabled Veterans Reduced-Fee Fishing License: Wisconsin disabled veterans with a combined service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of 70% or greater are eligible for a disabled veteran reduced-fee fishing license. The fishing license must be renewed annually, and does not exempt the holder from the need to purchase required fishing stamps. When purchasing the license at a DNR or County Clerk’s office, the applicant must provide a copy of a letter from the VA that indicates receipt of VA disability benefits and specifies the percentage of disability.

The Wisconsin Veterans and Surviving Spouses Property Tax Credit program provides a refundable property tax credit for the primary residence (in-state) via the state income tax form for veterans who have a VA disability compensation rating of 100%

Job Retraining Grants: Recently unemployed or underemployed veterans may receive up to $3,000 per year, for a maximum of two years, if they have a financial need while being retrained for employment. The amount of the grant is determined by the applicant's financial need as calculated by the WDVA.

Loan Programs: The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) offers three different loan programs to eligible Wisconsin Veterans, the Home Loan, the Home Improvement Loan, and the Personal Loan. All WDVA loans are underwritten using standard industry practices and procedures. Funding for loan programs comes from the sale of bonds or cash reserves in the Veterans Trust Fund. All loans help the Veterans Trust Fund by providing a source of revenue for other veterans programs

The Military Funeral Honors Program (MFHP) in Wisconsin provides a final tribute to the men and women who served our state and nation honorably as members of the U.S. armed forces. It allows a grateful nation to pay its last respects in a dignified and solemn ceremony. The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) administers the program with assistance from veterans' service organizations, County Veterans Service Officers (CVSOs), funeral directors and the active and reserve components of the U.S. armed forces.

Free Access to State Parks and Trails: Certain disabled veterans and former Prisoners of War (POWs) are eligible to receive waivers of vehicle admission and trail pass fees for State of Wisconsin Parks and Trails.
Eligible Veterans include:

  • Disabled Veterans with a 70% or greater, either Permanent or Temporary disability rating
  • Disabled Veterans determined by the Federal VA to be Totally Disabled due to Individual Unemployability (TDIU)
  • Former POWs

The Assistance to Needy Veterans grant program provides limited financial assistance to those in need and who have exhausted all other sources of aid. The grants may be used for specified health care and subsistence needs up to maximum grant limits. Applicants who demonstrate financial need and have exhausted other forms of aid may qualify.

Veterans/Military License Plates: Special vehicle license plates are available for veterans and members of the military, including branch of service (Army, Navy, etc.), wartime service (WWII, Vietnam, etc.), and military medals (Silver Star, Air Medal, etc.). In all, more than 51 different service and medal designations are available (see form MV2653 for a detailed listing.) These plates are transferable to a surviving spouse.

Homeless Veterans Assistance: The Veterans Assistance Program (VAP) helps homeless veterans and those at-risk of becoming homeless receive the job training, education, counseling and rehabilitative services (such as alcohol and drug abuse treatment) they need to obtain steady employment, affordable housing and the skills to sustain a productive lifestyle.  The VAP is designed to break the cycle of homelessness and help veterans transition back into the mainstream of society. The VAP also helps prevent homelessness by providing job training and referrals to unemployed or underemployed veterans who otherwise might end up living on the streets.

Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemeteries: The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) operates the state Veterans cemeteries at Northern Wisconsin – Spooner, Central Wisconsin – King, and Southern Wisconsin – Union Grove. Upon meeting eligibility standards, veterans are provided a burial at no cost, spouses and dependent children will incur a burial fee.

Wisconsin Veterans Homes: Veterans homes in King and Union Grove offer low cost care, and as a resident, you may qualify for substantial subsidies from the federal government. Veterans Homes are focused solely on veterans, offering a full slate of services on site. Your care includes nursing and managed care assistance. With the companionship of your fellow veterans, you'll enjoy daily recreational activities.